All the airport transfers to the center of Lisbon
Lisbon Airport – Humberto Delgado has the great advantage of being very close to the city centre of the Portuguese capital : exactly 7 km. Depending on the transportation you use, you will take between 20 minutes and 45 minutes to reach the city centre of Lisbon. If you stay in a hotel or an apartment, it is very likely that you will be staying in the historical centre or very close to the city centre of the Portuguese capital. In this article, I explain how to reach the city centre or any other part of Lisbon from Humberto Delgado airport. All means of transport as well as their prices, advantages and disadvantages are listed :
- The metro that serves the airport
- Private taxis to book online and in advance with Taxi Leader, Ticket Bar or Tripadvisor
- Bus lines and the special passenger aerobus serving the city centre
- Public taxis that I’m not a big fan of
- With a rental car, where and how to pick it up?
- By shuttle proposed by your hotel
Some important information for your arrival or departure from Lisbon airport
Arriving in Lisbon, with a regular or a low cost airline company, you will leave the airport by terminal 1. The airport of Lisbon is quite small and very well-signposted so there is only a low risk to be lost.
Leaving Lisbon, be careful, you have to go to terminal 1 if you travel with a regular company (Air France, TAP Air Portugal) or terminal 2 with a low-cost one (Transavia, Vueling, Easy Jet, Ryanair). If you leave the country from terminal 2 (low-cost company), you have to take a free bus from terminal 1 which will bring you to the ckeck-in counter of terminal 2. Plan 15 minutes more because you may have to wait for the bus.
1. WITH THE SUBWAY – The cheapest but not practical with the luggage
Going out from the airport, on the right, you will find the subway station (« Aeroporto » station). Going to the town-centre of Lisbon with the subway is clearly the cheapest way (1.70€ to the town-centre). The subway is pretty recent, and has the advantage of being air-conditioned and modern. The journey will be pleasant. The « Aeroporto » station is the terminus of the red metro line (Vermelha). If your accommodation is in the town centre, you will arrive in approximately 15 subway stations (between 20 and 30 minutes long) and you should change of subway at the « Alameda » station. However, as in many capitals, notice that the subway can be very busy and not necessarily convenient if you carry luggage.
How do the subway tickets work in Lisbon ?
To access the subway, you must buy a magnetic card that costs 0.50€ from a cashier or a subway terminal. Then, you must load this pass either with the value of one ticket (1.20€), either the value of a one-day or a several days pass, either a value that you have decided. This pass also works in other means of transport in Lisbon : buses and trams. If you plan to use public transports during your stay, I advise you to directly charge the pass with a formula that correspond to the duration of your journey.
The price : 1,45€ the way to the city centrer
Duration : Between 30 ans 45 minutes to reach the town-centre
Below, the Lisbon subway map to locate your futur trip
Save money by booking your Lisboa Card, giving access to Lisbon’s transport and museums for free
With the Lisboa Card, you will be able to use any means of public transport in Lisbon free of charge. Metro, bus, yellow tramway, modern tramway or even some train lines will be accessible thanks to this map. In addition, you will get free admission to 26 museums and monuments in the Portuguese capital. Not to mention discounts in some souvenir shops or on some tourist activities. If you book your Lisboa Card in advance, all you have to do is pick it up at the airport and take the metro without paying anything more.
The price :
- 24-hour card : 19€ for adults and 12€ for children aged 4 to 15 years
- 48h-hour card : 32€ for adults and 18€ for children from 4 to 15 years old
- 72h-hour card : 40€ for adults and 21€ for children from 4 to 15 years old
Where to pick it up ? at the airport as soon as you arrive (between 7am and Midnight – arrivals hall)
2. TAXI LEADER – The most competitive prices for private transfers and trips in Lisbon
TAXI LEADER is a highly reputable company that federates trusted private taxis with fixed fares in the world’s largest cities. In Lisbon, this company offers you private drivers for your trips to and from the airport but also for your trips from one point to another during your stay. Everything is bookable and for each trip, you can estimate your rate which will be fixed. With Taxi Leader, no surprises.
Example of price : less than 30€ for a trip between Lisbon airport and the Rossio square in the centre.
Would you like to book a transfer from or to Lisbon airport ? A private trip to the Portuguese capital ? Everything is possible >>> HERE
3. GET YOUR GUIDE – A 22€ flat rate to reach your hotel of the airport with a private taxi
GET YOUR GUIDE is an European company based in Germany that lists lots of activities that can be booked in advance as part of tourist destinations. For Lisbon, Ticketbar offers a private transfer between Lisbon airport and your place of stay in private taxi for a price fixed in advance of €22 per car regardless of your journey. A great alternative to avoid lines from 30 minutes to 1 hour to pick up a taxi at the exit of the airport. The driver will wait for you at the exit of the airport with a sign with your name. Your luggage will be taken care of, placed in the trunk of the vehicle, you will then be dropped off at your hotel or apartment. You also know in advance how much you pay (€22 per car), the trips are available at any time and up to 4 people. Once the payment is made on Get Your Guide, you will receive a voucher that will indicate where to find the taxi in the airport.
Get Your Guide propose other type of tranfers and transportations between Lisbon airport and several destinations, you can find all these transfers with this link >>> HERE.
4. TRIPADVISOR – By shuttle or private car
Tripadvisor lists the best deals related to tourism activities in each city. At Lisbon, Tripadvisor through its subsidiary VIATOR offers transfers between the airport and the place of your choice in various types of vehicle depending on the number of people to transport : private sedan or shared minibus. The vehicles pick you up at the exit of the airport and drop you at the foot of your hotel, whether in the center of Lisbon or in Caparica, Estoril, Cascais, Sintra etc. A big advantage compared to public transport (metro and bus). An ideal solution to allow you to organize everything before your departure because you pay in advance and you just have to print the voucher and give it to the driver.
The value for money is interesting. For example, for 3 people, the round trip will be 28 € in a private sedan, or just over €9 per people !
5. BY BUS – Cheap and pretty comfortable
Leaving the airport, in front of you, there are bus stops that allow you to reach the town-centre of Lisbon. Taking the bus will be cheaper than the taxi but will take more time. On the other hand, it’s a nice way to get a first idea of the Portuguese capital as you will cross the city and many of the most important neighborhoods. More pleasant than a first underground contact with the city in case you choose the subway.
Several bus lines serve the historic center of Lisbon :
- The Aerobus Express 91 is an express connection between the Lisbon – Humberto Delgado airport and the city center through 3 regular lines. This bus is designed for travelers, it is comfortable and has spaces reserved for luggage.
- Line 1 runs daily from 8am to 9pm and serves 9 stops in the main areas of the city (details below)
- Line 2 operates from 8am to 9pm every day and serves 10 stops in the main districts of the city (details below)
- Line 3 runs from monday to friday and serves the coach terminal in Sete Rios with a 1 hour frequency between 9am and 5pm ((details below)
- Price : € 3.60 per person per way, € 5.40 for the round trip
- SUPER GOOD PLAN : you can buy your aerobus ticket in advance with this link >>> AEROBUS LISBON
- Travel duration : approximately 30 minutes. Frequency : every 20 minutes for line 1 and 40 minutes for line 2
- Buses 744 and 783 also serve the airport but are conventional buses, with no luggage space. Furthermore, stops to the city center will be numerous.
- Price : 2 € per person and per way
- Travel duration : about 45 minutes
6. BY TAXI – Fast but beware of scams
It’s the fastest and most comfortable way to get to the city center. Taxis are right in front of the airport exit, not far from the bus. On the other hand, it will be the most expensive. It currently costs between € 12 and € 20 depending on where you go. And the trip will be in general in about twenty minutes.
However, be careful, taxis may have a tendency to want to rip you off if they find you do not know the city or you do not speak Portuguese.
Check out these points about taxis :
- Lisbon taxis are black and green or beige and that’s it. Other vehicles that will solicit you are illegal cabs.
- All Lisbon taxis have a luminous sign on the roof saying “Taxi Lisboa“. Other vehicles that will solicit you are taxis clandestine.
- The cab must turn on the meter when it starts its race. A taxi that offers you a flat rate to go to downtown, and without triggering the meter, is a hustler.
Price : between 12 € and 20 €
Journey duration : 20 minutes
7. BY CAR – If you rent a vehicle
If you have rented a car to enjoy your stay in the Portuguese capital, you must first pick up your vehicle. Depending on the company you choose in Lisbon, there will be 2 ways to pick up your car. The renter or the broker in charge of the hiring of cars will tell you the method to recover your vehicle on the voucher :
If your renter is in the airport
Head to the “Rent-a-Car” area of the airport, getting out of the baggage claim. Go to your right after the automatic door and follow the signs. Some companies are in the airport itself and you will pick up your rental car from one of the parking after having gone to the booking desk. The city center is 20 minutes away. When you return the vehicle, follow the directions to rent-a-car parking and follow the name of your company. You will arrive in the area of return, an agent will arrive to take the keys.
If your renter is outside the airport
When leaving the baggage claim, go to the right and stay around the Vodafone shop. The staff of each rental company will be waiting for you with a sign corresponding to the renter for whom he works. This staff will take you outside to access a shuttle that will pick you up to your vehicle, in an activity area 5 minutes from the airport (in the town of Prior Velho). Generally, the cheapest rental agencies are there. When you leave the agency, the city center is 25/30 minutes away. When you return the vehicle, allow 20/30 minutes more time to wait for the shuttle and the trip to the airport.
8. BY SHUTTLE – If your hotel offers it
It is possible when you book your stay that your hotel or your travel agency offers the transfer from the airport for free or charging you. If this is the case, the shuttle driver will wait for you right after the automatic doors that follow the recovery of your luggage. He will have a sign either with your name, or with the name of the hotel or the name of your travel company. If this transfer is offered free of charge, I recommend to take this option to reach the city center. However, if this transfer is not free, it will often be more expensive than taking a taxi. So beware of hoteliers or tour operators who make large margins on these benefits. It can often be more interesting to go through Ticketbar than I quote earlier in this article.